Idaho Department of Finance
Skip to Content
Department of Finance
Department of Finance
About the Agency
Department of Finance Bureaus
Who We Regulate
Loan Originator Section
Collection Agency Forms
Consumer Lender Forms
Continuing Education Forms
Credit Union Forms
Loan Originator Forms
Money Transmitter Forms
Securities Forms and Fees
Collection Agency Licensees
Consumer Credit Licensees
Loan Originator Licensees
Money Transmitter Licensees
No Action & Opinion Letters
Licensee Continuing Education
CE Licensee Information
CE Provider Criteria
CE General Information
Statutes and Rules
Financial Literacy Links and Resources
Lewiston Senior Scam Jam Brochure
Glossary of Financial Terms
- Definitions for commonly used financial terms.
Idaho Commission for Libraries LiLI
- Get $mart Idaho, an affiliate of the Idaho Financial Literacy Coalition
- U.S. Financial Literacy and Education Commission - Providing financial education resources for all Americans.
- This central site allows you to request a free credit file disclosure, commonly called a credit report, once every 12 months from each of the nationwide consumer credit reporting companies: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
The Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy
- The Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy seeks to improve the personal financial literacy of young adults.
U.S. Department of the Treasury Financial Literacy and Education Commission
- The Financial Literacy and Education Commission (the Commission) was established under Title V, the Financial Literacy and Education Improvement Act, which was part of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003, to improve financial literacy and education of persons in the United States.
National Endowment for Financial Education
- The National Endowment for Financial Education® (NEFE®) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) foundation dedicated to helping all Americans acquire the information and gain the skills necessary to take control of their personal finances. NEFE accomplishes its mission primarily by partnering with other concerned organizations to provide financial education to members of the public—in particular, to underserved individuals whose financial education issues are not being addressed by others. These partnerships are an effective means of responding to the needs of many different groups within the general population.
North American Securities Administrator Association
- Organized in 1919, the North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA) is the oldest international organization devoted to investor protection. NASAA is a voluntary association whose membership consists of 67 state, provincial, and territorial securities administrators in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada, and Mexico.
The Better Business Bureau
- BBB reports provide information on over 2.5 million organizations. It's a good idea to check before you invest or give.
Federal Trade Commission
- The Federal Trade Commission is the nation's consumer protection agency. The FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection works for the Consumer to prevent fraud, deception, and unfair business practices in the marketplace. The FTC provides a variety of both consumer and business informational brochures.
Fair Isaac Credit Reporting
- FICO provides information on citizen's credit scores and factors that are considered in scoring calculations. Links on FICO's website also discuss credit reports, and a quick credit calculator.
Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- HUD offers excellent informational links pertaining to understanding your mortgage, HUD approved counselors, and how to avoid foreclosure - and more.
Idaho Housing and Finance Association
National Credit Union Administration
Second Life Virtual World
- University of Idaho Extension - Idahonia is the University of Idaho’s presence in the Second Life® universe. Second Life® is a multi-user real-time virtual community that is built and supported by its residents. Please note: After creating an account with Second Life® you will need to create an avatar.
Investing Tips and Resources
Informed Investor Advisory: Private Placement Offerings
Variable Annuities: What You Should Know…
The Basics of Saving and Investing: Investor Education 2020
- Financial Literacy 2020 is a national campaign to increase high school students' savvy about personal finance and investment. Sponsored by the Investment Protection Trust(IPT)
Securities and Exchange Commission
Investor.gov - SEC
Top-Ten Tips for Online Investors
Brokered Certificates of Deposit
NASAA Day Trading Study (NASAA)
The Internet and Online Trading (SEC)
SEC's Edgar Database -- Filings from Public Companies with the SEC
Guidance to Investors Regarding Stock Volatility and On-line Trading (FINRA)
Purchasing on Margin, Risks Involved With Trading in a Margin Account (FINRA)
Research Your Broker
Check Out Your Investment Professional
Understanding Your Brokerage Account Statements Brochure
Entender Sus Declaraciones De La Cuenta De Corretaje
Fraud Prevention Tips
FINRA/BBB Smart Investing
Investigate Before You Invest - Ten Do's and Don'ts For Investors
President's Identity Theft Task Force
Fighting Back Against Identity Theft (Federal Trade Commission)
Protecting Your Finances: How to Avoid Investment Frauds and Scams
Identity Theft Brochure:
Predatory Lending Fact Sheet
- The State of Idaho is working hard to protect borrowers from illegal and improper lending practices while still making sure that people get the credit they need. Prospective home buyers and other borrowers need to do their part by being careful about the lenders they select. Educating yourself about the techniques that dishonest lenders use will help you avoid becoming a victim of predatory lending.
Credit Cards and Consumer Lending/Mortgage Loans
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) Student Loan Information “PAYING FOR COLLEGE”
- The CFPB offers information and tips regarding student loans, choices, and pitfalls.
Twelve Principles of Personal Financial Literacy
- The basics of financial literacy.
Brochure: Idaho Resources to Assist You in Avoiding Foreclosure
Informational brochures about securing credit, advanced fee loan scams, and Fair Credit Billing
Payday Loans in Idaho
Foreclosure Prevention Contact Information
- Lenders listed on this link have provided contact information for their clients who may be having difficulty making their mortgage payments.
FRONTLINE Feature: "The Secret History of the Credit Card"
- Frontline, with funding from PBS, has included educational links for citizens who are seeking more information on credit card use - tips to be aware of regarding credit cards, credit cards and personal responsibility - and more.
Collection Agency Brochures
FTC Facts for Consumers: Debt Collection/Credit/Loans
- Informational brochures regarding third-party debt collection, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, credit repair & debt settlement, and using credit.
Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Outlines debtor rights and third-party collector requirements under the Act
Protecting the Integrity of Idaho Financial Markets since 1905
Copyright Idaho Department of Finance
= External Links