Through the authority of Idaho’s Uniform Securities Act (2004) and the Idaho Commodity Code, the Securities Bureau of the Department of Finance regulates the sale of investment securities (e.g., stocks and bonds) and those individuals and entities that offer investment opportunities to the public.
Uniform Securities Act (2004)
Idaho’s Uniform Securities Act (2004) seeks to preserve and promote legitimate securities markets by assisting companies in their attempts to raise capital and prevent investment fraud. While the Act is designed to protect investors from fraud, it does not protect investors from the possibility of investment loss resulting from securities price movements, market changes or business failures. The Act requires that persons who solicit investments provide complete disclosure of all the important aspects of the investment being promoted. With this information, investors are empowered to make reasoned investment decisions.
Idaho Commodity Code
The Idaho Commodity Code is designed to reduce fraud by outlawing certain commodity investment contracts where the investor never receives delivery of the commodity. The law does not create a separate regulatory system. Rather, the statute provides an enforcement tool that relates to types of investment fraud not covered by Idaho’s Uniform Securities Act (2004).
Corporate Takeover Acts
In addition, the Securities Bureau of the Department of Finance has limited duties under Idaho's corporate takeover Acts. In 1988, the Idaho Legislature adopted the Control Share Acquisition Act and the Business Combination Act to govern certain corporate mergers in Idaho. The first law gives shareholders more authority to decide the terms of a takeover and the second allows a corporation to limit the effects of a takeover.
Securities Section Online Resources:
- Administrative Enforcement Actions
- Civil Enforcement Actions
- No-Action and Opinion Letters
- Statutes and Rules
- Application Requirements and Forms
- Application Fees: Word
- Check registration/ disciplinary history of stock broker or investment adviser
- File a securities complaint
- Raising Small Business Capital Through Securities: Word | PDF
- Simplifying the Capital Formation Process for Small Business Ventures in Idaho: Word | PDF
Exemptions/Registration for Raising Small Business Capital:
Small Business Capital Formation Options and Requirements for Issuers:
Word | PDF
- This form is designed to help an issuer determine whether an exemption or registration type filing is applicable to their situation. Our Department cannot provide legal advice regarding which exemption or registration meets an issuers needs. Our Department strongly encourages issuers to consult an attorney regarding their specific situation.
- Regulation D FAQ
Small Company Offering Registration:
- Practical Considerations for SCOR Registration: Word | PDF
- Forms and Reference Materials related to SCOR
- Securities FAQ
General Investment Information/Education:
- Idaho Biz Help
- Understanding Your Brokerage Account Statements Brochure: PDF or in Spanish
- When Your Broker Calls Take Notes: Word | PDF
- A Consumers Guide to Making Venture Investments in Small Businesses: Word | PDF
- Investor Links for more information on other websites
- The Basics of Savings and Investing: Investor Education 2020
- Cutting through the confusion - Where to turn for help with your investments: PDF